Tuesday, October 6, 2009

FREAKING FLU SHOTS

I am so annoyed this year with getting flu shots.  First, my pediatric office has been out of them for two weeks and don't expect another batch until November.  So, I was forced to go to the creepy Walgreen's clinic in downtown Longmont to get the kids flu shots because Target and other places do not offer kids shots.  Needless to say, all walks of life were in the Walgreen's.  I have made it over there twice with no luck- just closed the clinic, out of shots for the day, blah, blah, blah.  So, today was was last attempt.  

I drove over at 2:30 to sign them up.  There were about 5 people ahead of us and I had to be done by 3:30 p.m. to watch my friends kids (two different friends).  Well, by the time 3:45 rolled around and I was still sitting there- my nerves were frazzled.  My kids were impatient, I felt crappy (thank you pregnancy), and I was just down right cranky.  HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO POKE SOMEONE WITH THE SHOT?? SERIOUSLY??  Well, turns out the nurse was not feeling well and felt impressed to tell us all that her stomach was acting up and kept running to the bathroom.  TMI.  

Finally, at 4:25 we got our shots.  All I could think of at this point was, "do I really have to come back in a week to get not one, but TWO doses of the swine flu vaccine".  My kids will not be pleased.  Are you going to give your kids and yourself the H1N1 vaccine?  I am freaking out because I live in Boulder.  With that being said, 1/2 of the town does not vaccinate their kids with regular vaccines.  I keep hearing all of this negative info about the shot and yet, I am at the highest risk and should be one of the ones that gets this first.  Any thoughts?

8 comments:

Jenni said...

That's a good question...so when you find out, I'll follow suit! :)
Miss you Hailey. I can be so bored reading everybody's status on facebook and then come across something from you or Steve and laugh hysterically out loud. Miss you. :(
Hang in there with the pregnancy. It gets better and just think of the reward!

kidding...right? said...

Did you look up Good Morning America's report online? I think it would resolve some of your concerns. It was addressed specifically to pregnant women.

Ellie's Mama said...

We'll be getting H1N1 (as you already know from talking to me). I have been calling our ped's office every few days to see if they have the H1N1 vaccine yet. From what I have read, there aren't many concerns about the vaccine - it is very similar to the regular seasonal flu vaccine and has very little in common with the one made in the 1970's that had very severe side effects for some people.

Stephanie said...

I can't believe you had to wait 2 hours for the shots!! Aubrey scored the flu mist this year and she was very happy for no shot. I haven't decided about H1N1 yet.....I think if I were pregnant I probably would....I'm kinda paranoid though.

Anonymous said...

if i get the swine flu- i am going to treat it with red potatoe juice!

Rachel said...

I would get it if I were you, preggers and all. I am still trying to decide about my kids. Lauren will absolutely FREAK if she finds out she has to get not 1, but 2 shots. (She was so stoked to discover the FluMist nasal vaccine for the seasonal flu-got those yesterday at good old Dr. Briesacher's office!). I can't decide if it's worth it or not, for the emotional trauma, not so much the safety side of it. From what I've read and heard from my pediatrician, it seems like a wise thing to do.

Kennell's said...

NO vaccines for us!!! That makes for two(ok- 4) happy people not having to be poked:)Every situation is different, but red potato juice might be JUST as effective!

4boysmom said...

We always get our flu shots but this year we are waiting for our peds office to get more mist in - lots less trauma! But Kyle still got it year before last and it went into pnemonia and everything - so you just never know. I am not getting the swine flu vac for my kids, though. I just don't trust it yet for kids. But for pregnant you, I would - just my opinion - love you, girl and miss you tons!!