
We have all been giving "lots" in life that we have to deal with. Mine is an extremely crappy back. Since I was 15 years old, I have had chronic pain in my lower back. One failed surgery and many attempts at non-invasive modalities (accupuncture, physical therapy, chiropractor, etc.) later, I still have constant pain. The above treatment modalities have helped, but nothing can actually "cure" my pain unless I have a fusion (in which they fuse the vertebrae together). This is an option I refuse to do. So, I have been patiently waiting for a new advancement in medicine that will give me another option. I have been trying a new treatment that my Pilates Instructor is doing called Muscle Activation technique. It hurts, but has helped.
Well, there is a doctor that I saw last year in Denver that has started doing Stem Cell Research for problems such as mine. But, they were only doing research for old people at the time and I didn't qualify for the study. At this point in my life, I find myself thinking about things like, "when do I want to have another child", "how am I going to feel in 10 years if I keep hurting like I have been" etc.
Yesterday I called my doctor in Denver to see how things were coming along with this "stem cell" project. Turns out that they are commercially offering Stem Cell Surgery for Lumbar discs such as mine. The process is out patient and only requires 4 appointments to complete this "technique." He is the only Doctor in the U.S. that is commercially offering this treatment. For those of you who may not know that much about stem cell, the stem cell would come from my hip and they would grow it in a lab and then inject it into my lumbar disc to re-grow the loss of disc that has been depleted in my disc.
Pro's- 80% success rate
-this is permanent
-alleviation of back pain
-able to complete my Ironman that I desperately want to do in my life
Con's
-too new to be covered by insurance
-cost is $8,000
-20% of people don't have the problem fixed and may need to do it again
-I haven't asked about any possible side effects yet
Anyhow, lots to think about. I feel like I have a decent quality of life, but boy would it be nice to not live on Ibuprofen for the rest of my life and be able to be active (which is crucial in my life) without limitations. Also, considering a 3rd pregnancy is risky. How will affect my back? Will it make it worse?
I feel lucky to have been able to do all that I have done so far, but I don't want to slow down and I definitely do not want to be limited as I age since I have been diligent in taking care of my health. Hmmm...
6 comments:
WOW Hailers!! This is exciting & scary all at the same time!! I hear you on the back pain, body pain, every day pain! I am seriously awaiting the Total Body, Organ & Skin Replacement surgery, if that ever comes available- i'll let you know!!! Man I hear you on the 3rd kid thing! ALOT to think about! YOU CAN DO IT!!!Keep me posted!
I'm sorry to hear your back still bothers you that much! I think I'd be for trying anything that could help....no matter the cost. (Easier said than done I know). Interesting new treatment though.
I say go for it. Your health is priceless, but then again, it would suck if it didn't work.
It depends on the side effects. If there aren't any scary side effects then I think it's worth the $$.
just have steve get a night job....oh wait. nevermind.
There is no price tag for health - it is everything! I think this sounds so great! Just borrow against life insurance and go for it - quality of life is what matters most!!!
Post a Comment